Boluo Fan Recipe
We all look forward to weekends for different reasons. I was looking forward to this weekend to try some Chinese cuisine. After Googling aimlessly, I came across this dish named Boluo Fan or Pineapple Rice as it is popularly known as in some regions of China and South East Asia. However, every time I come across a Chinese dish, my Chinese friend cross examines the recipe with Chinese websites before giving me a green signal. I asked my Chinese friend for some assistance with the dish and she obliged. This is definitely one of the most fancy dishes I have made. Given that my Chinese friend approved the final outcome, I can safely assume this was perhaps close to the original version. It is delicious; give this boluo fan recipe a shot!
- 1 pineapple slit into half and the left over pineapples
- Small pieces of chicken or small prawns or both
- Half medium sized carrot finely chopped
- Cranberries or raisins (optional)
- 2 cups of rice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp curry powder of your choice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- A few table spoons of soya sauce
- A hand full of corns
- A few strands of basil leaves
- Prepare the rice with coconut cream a day before or give it enough time to become dry.
- Slit the pineapple into half and carve the pineapples out. Be careful on not to slit through the shell of the pineapple.
- Keep the pineapple in the oven for around 5-7 minutes at high temperature to dry its interiors.
- Marinate the chicken/prawns with some salt and soya sauce, and fry it in a separate pan.
- In another pan, add some butter and fry the onions and carrots together on high flame. After a few minutes, add the corns and later add the chicken that was fried in a different pan.
- Start frying the rice slowly on medium flame. To the rice, add some salt, turmeric powder, curry powder and the sesame oil.
- After frying for 5-7 minutes, add the cashews and other dry fruits of your choice. Add the left over pieces of pineapple and stir them properly.
- Serve them in the pineapple shell and add the basil leaves to decorate or for additional taste.